Dear Parents and Guardians,
Happy New Year!!! The second grade team would like to thank you for all of your hard work in 2019. Please continue working diligently with your child at home (reviewing phonics, math strategies, writing strategies and having them read for at least 30 minutes at home). We are eager to continue our hard work on meeting your child’s academic goals/ needs in 2020. Please feel free to make an appointment with us on Tuesdays during Parent Engagement time between 2:35-3:15pm. We want to push our students to maximize their potentials and this will only happen if we do this together.
Second Grade Team
Instruction is customized, inclusive, motivating, and aligned to the Common Core. High standards are set in every classroom. Students are actively engaged in ambitious intellectual activity and developing critical thinking skills.
Units of Study:
· Fundations: glued sounds (s, es, ed, er ,est, ing), breaking up syllables (combat= com bat)
· Reading 2-2- Bigger Books Mean Amping Up Reading Power- learning new skills to help read fluently, learning about literary language (simile, metaphor, figurative language)
· Reading 2-1- Expository Text- Giving facts and information about a topic
· Math- Fluently Subtracting Within 100/ Subtract Within 100 Using Strategies
· Writing- Opinion Writing- Writing About Reading
The school establishes a classroom and school culture where students feel safe, supported, and challenged by their teachers and peers.
Students of the Month:
2-2 Tussant Primo
2-1 Isabel Gomez
Strong Family-Community Ties & Collaborative Teachers
School leadership brings resources from the community into the school building by welcoming, encouraging, and developing partnerships with families, businesses, and community-based organizations.
Martin Luther King Day- 1/20/20
Holiday Recess- December 23rd- Jan1st