Greetings from the Second Grade Team!
We did it! First month of school has come and gone. Thank you for attending the parent workshop in September and being a big part of your child’s academic growth in the 2019-2020 school year. If you would like to meet privately you can always schedule an appointment with us during the Tuesday Parent Engagement time from 2:40-3:15pm. We want to push our students to maximize their potentials and this will only happen if we do this together. Thus, we implore you to do the following:
- Read with your child at home especially during weekends and holiday break. Be sure to preview the book: look at the pictures and cover, and discuss it before beginning to read. Ask questions about what they think the book is about. This will aid in the student’s comprehension. Additionally have students spell out all words for their writing homework. Ask your child- “What sound do you hear?”
- Use ideas from the homework packets given to let them practice reading and writing the sight words.
- Please check your child’s homework every day and see to it that everything is complete.
We are looking forward to working closely with you this year!
Second Grade Team
Instruction is customized, inclusive, motivating, and aligned to the Common Core. High standards are set in every classroom. Students are actively engaged in ambitious intellectual activity and developing critical thinking skills.
Units of Study:
· Fundations/Phonics: Review of Digraphs, Basic Sight Words/Trick Words (The children are learning to chunk sounds using digraphs such as: ch, sh, wh, th, and ck, as well as words with bonus letters and vowel teams
· ( l, f, s, z)
· Math: Using addition and subtraction strategies within 20/ Work with Equal Groups, drawing arrays and number sentences to match arrays
· Reading: 2-2 Word Detectives. Learning different strategies to help read bigger words
· Class 2-1: Comparing Stories
· Writing: Narrative (Small Moment Story)
· Science: Animal Adventures- Animal Biodiversity
· Social Studies: How geography influences where people live and why
The school establishes a classroom and school culture where students feel safe, supported, and challenged by their teachers and peers.
Student of the Month:
Jacob Palaguachi-Borja Class 2-2
Rosabella Donoso Class 2-1
Strong Family-Community Ties & Collaborative Teachers
School leadership brings resources from the community into the school building by welcoming, encouraging, and developing partnerships with families, businesses, and community-based organizations.
Date: Every Tuesday
Time: 2:35- 3:15pm
10/8/19- Day in a Life
10/29/ Fall Festival 3:30- 5:00pm
10/31- Character Dress up Day